Sunday, February 15, 2015

Day two in Jamaica: Valentines Day

Day 2 – Saturday February 14, 2015

Happy Valentine’s Day!

     This morning everyone woke up early to get a good start on our first full day in Jamaica. I even woke up without my alarm. The sunshine and warm weather made it pretty easy though, it’s much better than waking up to -30˚ weather.

     At this morning’s orientation our facilitator asked us how we were doing, naturally we all replied “I’m good” or “I’m great” but for every answer he shook his head, “No, no, in Canada you say I’m good, I’m great, I’m fantastic but when someone asks you how you’re doing in Jamaica you say I’m irie.” Meaning, I’m doing alright, I’m on top of everything, I’m fantastic. I thought that was kind of neat. They have they’re own Jamaican way of saying ‘life is good’.

     I think we’re all finally starting to embrace the Jamaican culture. Jamaicans are so easy going and carefree, it’s really quite a change from Canadian culture. In Canada, we’re so consumed with our busy lives that we stress about the littlest things, but being in Jamaica I can see that the lifestyle is extremely stress-free. I’m quite a worrisome person by nature but being here has really opened my eyes that life doesn't need to be stressful and we all shouldn't let the little things bother us so much. Talk about culture shock!

     Tonight we all went for dinner at the Jamaican a la carte restaurant on our resort. The food was pretty good, but definitely different from what Canadians are used to. One thing’s for sure about authentic Jamaica food is that it is SPICY! At least for my taste buds anyway! I had the jerk chicken, which is pretty famous around here. It was very flavourful but again, so spicy! It was really nice to have everyone together for dinner, we joked that we all had 13 dates for Valentine’s Day!

The iLEAD group enjoying tradition Jamaican cuisine.



Tomorrow seems like another exciting day, stay posted!

Gina D'Antonio 



No comments:

Post a Comment